Friday, February 01, 2002

The first installment of Oliver Twist from classic-novels.com arrived in my mailbox this morning. A little Dickens to start the day each day should be fun...
The fact is, that there was considerable difficulty in inducing Oliver to take upon himself the office of respiration,--a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence
and it appears that classic-novels.com may be publishing this just as originally published by Dickens. Here's the close of the first installment:
as he knocked at the gate and read the bill next morning: 'I never was more convinced of anything in my life, than I am that that boy will come to be hung.' As I purpose to show in the sequel whether the white waistcoated gentleman was right or not, I should perhaps mar the interest of this narrative (supposing it to possess any at all), if I ventured to hint just yet, whether the life of Oliver Twist had this violent termination or no.

No comments: