Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Bye-bye xmms

I recently upgraded to KDE 3.2 (by way of Mandrake 10) and have started using the Juk audio player. Its playlist UI is much better than xmms (I've read rumors that it's similar to iTunes, but I have no experience with that). Just tell it where your music is and it builds a big list of all of your tracks.

It is, necessarily, dependent on reliable ID3 tags. It has a built in tag editor that works pretty well for individual files, but lacks some features for bulk editing. For example, a bunch of my albums had no track numbers in the tags (although the file names included the track number). Juk had no easy way to set the track number for all. After a little searching on alternate tag editors, I've been very happy with EasyTAG -- fortunately also available as Mandrake 10 package.

No comments: