I found this from Lockergnome.
Thursday, August 28, 2003
Thursday, August 21, 2003
- Teach your pet monkey to yodel
- An important message for you from Lyndon LaRouche's nephew.
- First time ever, the 1936 Republican Convention on CD!
- Please help me check my computer: Is this attachment a virus?
Tuesday, August 19, 2003
My guess is that they've used code from the units program that has been around for a long time. Before you download from there, check your distribution (of linux, *BSD, OS X, etc.) for a prepackaged version. It's pretty common, but I've been surprised by the number of old-time un*x people who have never seen this before.
Friday, August 15, 2003
...or don't. This service is not really ready for use. I can't figure out how often it updates (if it updates). A friend gave up on the feed saying "it kept reposting all of your messages...fooled my aggregator".
Thursday, August 14, 2003
Monday, August 11, 2003
The second article delves more into "knowing if this work is right for you, marketing yourself, learning on the job, handling and educating clients, managing the business, the temperament required, and the negative aspects of the work." This article also addresses some questions and concerns raised in slashdot discussions of the first article. If you want more commentary, see the slashdot discussions of the second article.
While I think that doing technical support full time might just be my definition of hell, I still recommend these articles. In addition to being quite readable and occasionally hysterical, he has a very good perspective on client relations and business building which can be useful for any sort of freelancer.
Monday, August 04, 2003
- Working way too much as we prepared for a major rollout of new hardware for our database servers and the first rollout of a part of our site in our new Java framework.
This was all happening as I was...
- Preparing our house for some major remodeling. This preparation included packing up the entire contents of our kitchen, dining room, and coat closet, moving these contents to various places (e.g. storage area, adjacent rooms on the same floor, non-adjacent rooms on different floors, the (detached) garage), and moving some of the bigger things that we wanted to save (like moving the refrigerator to the basement).
This had to be done in a speedy fashion because I was also...
- Preparing to go on vacation in Spring Lake, NJ. See the archive from this time last year for links about this lovely beach-side town. We've been here about a week now and I'll be here for another week.