Friday, September 26, 2003

Jabber, anyone?

My preferred IM client, gaim, is having trouble connecting to Yahoo's and MSN's IM servers. I'm also annoyed with the general obnoxiousness of AOL (AIM & icq), Yahoo, and Microsoft over holding tightly to their proprietary protocols that all basically do the same thing and refuse to play nicely with each other. Because of this, I'm announcing now that I'm going to try to make Jabber my preferred protocol. It's open source and open standards based. It may not do voice or video chat, but that's not what I need.

The one remaining problem is that I don't know if any of my buddies on other protocols are on Jabber, too.

So, if you want to join my revolt, contact me on one of the unfriendly protocols or by email to get my jabber id then download a jabber client by following a link from one of the client lists at jabber.org.

No comments: